Saturday, February 27, 2010

I want my MTV- back!


Yes folks. You heard it from the Knight Writer. I want my MTV back. MTV stands for Music Television, and for many years, that's what it was. In the past 10 or 15 years or so, it has become just another network featuring mostly reality TV shows. MTV was once a global phenomenon playing music from all over the world 24/7. Back in the day, MTV revolutionized music videos, and this prompted many rock bands of the 80s and 90s making artistic music videos. Duran Duran, for example, was very famous for their music videos. From Hungry like the Wolf to Wild Boys, every video was unique and fun to watch. Michael Jackson, in 1983, with Thriller made some of the best music videos of that time, especially the award winning Thriller. This is when MTV noticed and took on MJ, as he was at the time the first black artist to be featured on their network. The whole point of this is that the network stands for Music Television, but why does their content today has nothing to do with music videos. Now they have MTV2, and MTVU, and other spin-offs, that show music videos. For my Pakistani readers, I do not know if you guys knew this. Junoon and Strings were the first Pakistani rock acts to be featured on MTV Asia. Back in the early 90s, this was a big achievement. Junoon's ground breaking "Talaash" and String's magnum opus "Sar Kiye" were the first videos from our homeland to air on MTV. Today, Pakistan is blessed to have MTV Pakistan, which is a rebranded version of Indus Music. Either way, its cool to have MTV in Pakistan that actually focuses on music in Pakistan and serves as a platform for new bands to launch themselves in the country's growing rock scene.

Basically, in the US, if the original MTV channel tries to go back to its roots, it will recapture lot of its lost audience who originally tuned to see the latest rock videos from all around the world. I am sure my Pakistani readers remember how MTV Asia back in the 90s was replaced by Star TV with their own Channel V, which at the time was a very cool name for a music channel. Their programming was very similar to that of MTV Asia and retained many of their VJs. V was to MTV what Indus Music was to MTV Pakistan. I remember VJ Nonie and Trey who hosted Asian Top 20 and By Demand respectively. My other favorite show was Rewind which featured classic videos from the 80s. Asian Top 20 was my show to keep updated with the latest international music as I watched it religiously after coming from school. I usually catch V on my trips to Karachi, but lately I do not even watch MTV because MTV is not MTV anymore. This is why I want my MTV back!


GameGrep

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Blaagers !